[Linux-cluster] CMan Build Issue

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 19:51:27 UTC 2007

Jayson Vantuyl wrote:
> Eek.  This is probably worth investigating.  I'll let you know what I
> come up with.
>
> This is particularly important for people who virtualize their clusters,
> as Xen doesn't run on anything newer than 2.6.18 yet (and that includes
> the forthcoming 3.0.5 release).
>
> Out of curiosity, how does this figure into the kernel merge of DLM and
> GFS?  I've seen them in newer kernels but been kind of afraid to turn
> anything on.  Can I build the old cluster suite against a kernel
> containing DLM and still expect it to work?

Hi Jayson,

There aren't that many "big" differences.  I think in most cases it
should "just work."  We've always tried to keep up with the latest
upstream kernel for the STABLE and HEAD branches.

Regarding the kernel merge of dlm and gfs2:

There are two separate and distinct cluster infrastructures: (1) The
"tried and true" that people are using (RHEL4 and STABLE branches of CVS)
and (2) The "new and improved" infrastructure (HEAD, RHEL5, branches).
The "kernel merge" is for (2).

Mixing and matching won't work.  However, the old "tried and true" stuff
may be built and used on an upstream kernel.  I even wrote a document
that describes exactly how to accomplish this (although I haven't read
it in a while, so it might be slightly out of date by now) and put it on
my 108 page:

https://rpeterso.108.redhat.com/files/documents/98/247/STABLE.txt

RHEL5 is built with the new infrastructure on top of 2.6.18, and
has xen, so it's not all that different from upstream.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite