[Linux-cluster] NFS and gfs problems

Pavel Stano stanojr at blackhole.sk
Mon Aug 27 14:17:31 UTC 2007

i have same problem, kernel 2.6.21.6-grsec x86_64 with cluster 1.0.4
from source = cannot write file over nfs wich is bigger than cca 2kb
write() return EINVAL or something like that
i dont try 1.0.3

but i am droping gfs at all from our servers and i am going use xfs on
one machine + nfs to all other, because gfs and all that cluster stuff
is not very stable

Bas van der Vlies wrote:
> Are we the only site that tried to run cluster version 1.0.4 in combo
> with  NFS?
>

> Bas van der Vlies wrote:
>> We just downgraded to versions 1.0.3 with some cvs updates kernel
>> 2.6.17.4
>> and nfs-kernel-server 1.0.6.
>>
>> Now we can run vim/tar/bonnie++ and other unix utilities without any
>> problem.
>>
>> With this version we experienced problems when the gfs filesystems
>> becomimg
>> full the nfsd daemons will fail and to the load of the machine becomes
>> equal to number of nfsd daemoms and the system is unresponsive.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Bas van der Vlies wrote:
>>> gfs version 1.0.4
>>> kernel 2.6.20.16
>>> nfs-common/etch uptodate 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1
>>> nfs-kernel-server/etch uptodate 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1
>>>
>>> We have a five node fileserver cluster. The GFS file system works
>>> perfectly, but on our clients we have major problems. See examples below
>>>
>>> Do other people see this problems and is there a solution for this
>>> problem?
>>>

>>> bas at gb2-r39n16:~$ vim j
>>> E72: Close error on swap filebas at gb2-r39n16:~$
>>>
>>> bas at gb2-r39n16:~$ tar cvf bin.tar bin
>>> bin/
>>> bin/mpicc-wrapper-data.txt
>>> bin/mpiexec
>>> bin/setmvapich