[Linux-cluster] Add a fence device of type SUN ILOM

Lanthier, Stéphanie lanthier.stephanie at uqam.ca
Thu Aug 9 18:13:37 UTC 2007

Dear list members,

I have in production a RHCS cluster composed of three RHEL4u5 nodes that use GFS. Initially, I first put no fence device on the nodes. I just defined a manual fence device without associating it to the nodes.

As the GFS file system is not accessible when I'm rebooting one of the three nodes, I'm realizing the importance of fence devices.

I just defined manual fence devices for the three nodes, but I read that manual fence device is not a good idea for production environment.

My machines are SUN Fire X4100. I see that we can define a fence device of type HP ILO. I would like to know if I can use the HP ILO form in system-config-cluster tool to enter and use a SUN ILOM as fence device?

If so, do you have any points I should pay attention for when I will define them? I recall that I'm working on a production environment and I'm scary to put things worst that they already are.

Thank you very much

Stéphanie Lanthier

Analyste de l'informatique
Université du Québec à Montréal
Service de l'informatique et des télécommunications
lanthier.stephanie at uqam.ca
Téléphone : 514-987-3000 poste 6106
Bureau : PK-M535