[Linux-cluster] Add a fence device of type SUN ILOM

Quentin Arce Quentin.Arce at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 10 15:28:23 UTC 2007

jim parsons wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 14:13 -0400, Lanthier, Stéphanie wrote:
>

>> Dear list members,
>>
>> I have in production a RHCS cluster composed of three RHEL4u5 nodes
>> that use GFS. Initially, I first put no fence device on the nodes. I
>> just defined a manual fence device without associating it to the
>> nodes.
>>
>> As the GFS file system is not accessible when I'm rebooting one of the
>> three nodes, I'm realizing the importance of fence devices.
>>
>> I just defined manual fence devices for the three nodes, but I read
>> that manual fence device is not a good idea for production
>> environment.
>>
> You need to run the fence_ack_manual script after fencing...it is really
> a pain, and DEF not anything to use for production.
>

>> My machines are SUN Fire X4100. I see that we can define a fence
>> device of type HP ILO. I would like to know if I can use the HP ILO
>> form in system-config-cluster tool to enter and use a SUN ILOM as
>> fence device?
>>
> Know, please, that system-config-cluster is just a front-end editor for
> the /etc/cluster/cluster.conf file. It takes your fence form values and
> inserts the values in the proper format in the file and then calls the
> methods to update the cluster with the new file.
>
> I do not know the params needed for the SUN ILOM, but I doubt very much
> that the fence_ilo agent would do the correct thing. It would be easy to
> find out, though. Man fence_ilo and see the params needed, and then run
> the agent from the command line (/sbin/fence_ilo -a
> System.ILOM.To.Reboot.Now -l login -p passwd
> ...and see what happens...I kind of doubt it will work :/

Oh, forgot to answer....
> How does ILOM work? telnet or ssh?
ssh, no telnet.
>  Is there an snmp interface to ILOM?

Yes and IPMI

You just need the mib file for snmp.  It should be on the public
download site.  If it's not I'll find out where it's published.  The mib
files you need are, SUN-ILOM-CONTROL-MIB.mib and SUN-PLATFORM-MIB.mib
see:
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/820-0280-12/snmp_using.html#50491426_94813