[Linux-cluster] init scripts and the scope of a service

Jon S zepp157 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 06:05:08 UTC 2007

Given the Cluster Suite's preference to disable, restart or relocate a service after an init script resource returns non-zero, I'm curious how best to handle a significant number of applications tied to a single IP resource.  The easy thing to do is to just define a bunch of init scripts in a single service with the IP resource.  Problem is, of course, that if one script returns non-zero, all resources in the service are stopped and restarted.

I can see several ways to script my way past the this issue.  Before I do, I was wondering how others handle this situation.

Reminds me of the classic Spock line, "The needs of the many..."