[Linux-cluster] init scripts and the scope of a service

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 20:45:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:05:08PM -0700, Jon S wrote:
> Given the Cluster Suite's preference to disable, restart or relocate a service after an init script resource returns non-zero, I'm curious how best to handle a significant number of applications tied to a single IP resource.  The easy thing to do is to just define a bunch of init scripts in a single service with the IP resource.  Problem is, of course, that if one script returns non-zero, all resources in the service are stopped and restarted.
>
> I can see several ways to script my way past the this issue.  Before I do, I was wondering how others handle this situation.

In CVS for 5.1, you can add a special attribute to the tags in
cluster.conf:

   <script name="this_app" file="/bin/this_app"
           __independent_subtree="1"/>

This means that a failure of this script will cause a stop/start of that
script without stop/start of the rest of the siblings in the service
tree.

-- Lon