[Linux-cluster] expected_votes meaning

Alexandre Racine Alexandre.Racine at mhicc.org
Fri Aug 31 13:17:35 UTC 2007

Hi Claudio

#man cman

will give you infos on expected_votes.

Alexandre Racine
Projets spéciaux
514-461-1300 poste 3304
alexandre.racine at mhicc.org

-------- Message d'origine--------
De: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com de la part de Claudio Tassini
Date: ven. 2007-08-31 08:58
À: linux clustering
Objet : [Linux-cluster] expected_votes meaning

Hi all,
this could sound quite obvious but I really can't find a reference guide to
cluster.conf parameters. What is the exact meaning of the expected_votes
cman attribute ?  Is it the total number of votes on which cman calculates
the quorum needing of a member or is it the actual number of votes needed by
a member to boot?

I'll try to explain: 4-nodes cluster. 1 vote per node. 1 quorum disk with 3
votes. expected_votes set to 7 as read in the cluster faq. The faq says that
every single node should be able to remain in the cluster as long as it can
reach the quorum, with a total vote count of 4 (3 for the quorum, 1 for the
node itself), which is claimed to be enough with an expected_votes of 7.
This is why I'm quite confused... if expected_votes is 7, doesn't this mean
that the "1 node+qdisk" vote count should be 7 to prevent quorum being
dissolved?

--
Claudio Tassini