[Linux-cluster] re:GFS Cookbook

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:06:27 UTC 2007

 Greetings,

On Dec 14, 2007 9:20 PM, Bob Peterson <rpeterso at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 03:46 +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> >
> If your local storage is ext3, it should not have a problem.
> The journals should take care of everything for you.  So it is
> only the shared storage you need to be concerned about.
> If that shared storage for user home directories is gfs or gfs2,
> after the reboot, the file system is re-mounted, which will
> replay the journals.  So again, everything should be okay.

the shared storage is a DRBD device.

We have observed that this mucks up pretty badly....

Fencing hasn't arrived. So clustering without _hardware_ poweroff doesn't
work. Right?

In US fencing device might be a given. But in the Indian (_not_ American
Indian but the largest Democracy in the world) Environment it is a long
drawn out procedure to spend $2000 for a proprietarey fencing device and the
same is true for developing nations. We have somehow managed to get the the
supera(rathe ulti-)nnuated cretin of "Management" to approve one but the
technical issue remains.

Of course any answer would increase the Redhat EL Adoption explode enough to
make the proprietary viri irrelevant .

I will work towards it.

Regards,

Rajagopal