[Linux-cluster] RH Cluster

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Mon Dec 17 04:17:42 UTC 2007

Not knowing anything about your project (aside from some technical
details), it's impossible to give you specific advice.

What's your timeframe for implementation?

Do you have any of this built or are you starting from scratch?

What is your level of expertise in the technologies you mention?  Each
of these are complex on their own.  Do you have help?  How much of this
have you done before?

If I were going to attempt such a project myself, I'd look for no less
than a six-month engagement to design, configure, test and deploy a
setup for production use.  During that time I would take the opportunity
to learn each technology in detail, run experiments, tweak and push them
to their limits.  Then always do the fun part--pulling cables to see
what happens in a redundant cluster when components really do fail.

I'd also pick an order to configure and verify each component in turn,
something like:

- Hardware
- OS
- Networking
- Cluster
- SAN
- GFS
- Oracle
- application

with the appropriate stress testing and proofing at each step.
Depending on timeframe and budget, I'd also give serious consideration
to training and professional consulting.  Good luck.

-Jeff