[Linux-cluster] Re: CS5 two-nodes with quorum disk

Alain Moulle Alain.Moulle at bull.net
Tue Dec 18 13:00:50 UTC 2007

Hi Lon

Me again, always fighting with my two node cluster with quorum disk ;-)
I've not yet received your response to my last email if you have already
answered, because I 'm in digest mode, so , sorry if  ...

After again re-read lots of texts,FAQs, and emails from this ML about quorum
disk on two nodes cluster, I've got this conclusion, please tell me if I'm
right or not :
recall : my first goal in introducing quorum disk in my two-nodes clusters
is to avoid race-to-fence and eventually dual-fencing between both nodes, in
case of heart-beat network failure from one side (ethernet card, ethernet cable
or whatever).

So my conclusion is that it can't be achieved with a quorumd record
without at least one heuristic which ping another host than the
adjacent node on the same network where the heart-beat works.
Meaning that in cluster.conf I should have :
     <quorumd interval="1" label="QDISK_5_0" min_score="1" tko="10" votes="1">
         <heuristic interval="10" program="ping -t1 -c1 <another host>" score="1"/>
     </quorumd>

Am I right when telling that this heuristic is mandatory to avoid
race-to-fence and eventually dual-fencing ?
I hope so ... it would be the end for me about quorum disk ... ;-)

Thanks for your answer.
Alain