[Linux-cluster] Re: CLVM and Cluster Service Migration issues

Jonathan Biggar jon at levanta.com
Thu Dec 20 16:53:58 UTC 2007

James Chamberlain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a three node CentOS 5 x86-64 CS/GFS cluster running kernel
> 2.6.18-53.el5.  Last night, I tried to grow two of the file systems on
> it. I ran lvextend and then gfs_grow on node3, with node2 serving the
> file systems out to the local network.  While gfs_grow was running,
> node2 failed the service and I couldn't get it to restart.  It looked to
> me like neither node1 nor node2 was aware of the lvextend I had run on
> node3.  I had to reboot the full cluster to bring everything back online.

If you ran lvextend on node3 while node2 had the filesystem mounted and
exported via NFS, then you did the wrong thing.  CLVM lets the nodes
share information about the PVs, VGs and LVs, but not information about
the contents of an LV.

You needed to run lvextend on the node that had the filesystem mounted.

--
Jon Biggar
Levanta
jon at levanta.com