[Linux-cluster] Remove the clusterness from GFS

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Mon Jan 8 22:45:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 11:26 -0800, Lin Shen (lshen) wrote:

> > If you absolutely can not have a bit of "cluster software
> > running", you'll probably need to use a client/server
> > approach like NFS instead of a cluster file system like GFS.
>
> How about Luster? It's a cluster file system, but seems to me it doesn't
> require much extra cluster software.

Lustre clients do not need to be cluster aware.  (Neither do NFS
clients.)

If you are willing to sacrifice fault tolerance, you can run Lustre
without a cluster stack.

If you want fault tolerance, you have to go get a third-party cluster
stack, like heartbeat (or linux-cluster; but no one's done it AFAIK), to
provide the failover.  OSS/OST locations are stored in a replicated LDAP
database, which you must set up as well.

As a side note, I think HP was working on building a (non-Free) metadata
server cluster product for Lustre:

http://h20311.www2.hp.com/HPC/cache/276636-0-0-0-121.html

GFS has no concept of "client" and "server".  If you mount a GFS volume,
you need to be part of that file system's cluster.

-- Lon