[Linux-cluster] Remove the clusterness from GFS

Jayson Vantuyl jvantuyl at engineyard.com
Tue Jan 9 07:25:36 UTC 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Lin Shen (lshen) wrote:

> All we need is a cluster file system to aggregate local disks attached
> to different nodes into a shared storage pool. GFS+GNBD fits in our
> requirement nicely except the cluster suite that comes with it. We
> really don't need/want to turn our system into a cluster by using GFS
> since we're not very clear about what are the side effects that would
> bring in. Would it slow down the system more, take up more memory and
> affect the system bootup and shutdown sequencies etc? How easy is
> it to
> remove some or all of the clusterness from GFS such as fencing,
> cman and
> ccsd stuff? I understand that things like dlm must stay for GFS to
> work.

Dlm must know the nodes in the cluster.  It most know when they are
there.  That's CMAN.  It also must have all of the configuration to
support knowing that.  That's CCSd.

GFS must be able to handle a node failure of any kind.  That's fencing.

Asking to run GFS without CMAN, fencing, and CCSd is like asking to
run PHPmyadmin without Apache, PHP, or MySQL.

If you aren't sharing the data between two hosts simultaneously, you
might try ReiserFS/XFS with CLVM.  CLVM still requires the CMAN stack
but it doesn't introduce some of the more exciting failure behavior
that GFS can.

--
Jayson Vantuyl
Systems Architect