[Linux-cluster] multipathd/ lvm.static error

Jon Erickson erickson.jon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:13:29 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Benjamin Marzinski <bmarzins at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 11:08:31AM -0500, Jon Erickson wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm receiving these two errors on all of the systems I have setup in
> > my GFS cluster.
> > Even though I receive these errors my systems appear to be functioning
> > fine.  The first error makes sense because my local SCSI disk is not
> > multipath-ed, however, I do not know how to get rid of it.  The second
> > error is confusing to me especially because the system still comes up
> > with all of my multipath-ed devices in working order.
>
> Even if you aren't multipathing your local disk, it should have a scsi id.
> try manually running
>
> # /sbin/scsi_id -v -g u -s /block/sda
>
> If this fails, hopefully you'll get some debugging information. If this works
> correctly, then try running

I ran this command and received a sg_io failed status 0x8 0x0 0x0 0x2
message.  I think this is because my system is setup for Integrated
Mirroring (IM) and the OS sees the scsi controller instead of the scsi
device.  The output of the scsi_id command gives me the vendor
"LSILOGIC".  I tried this command on another system with the IM turned
off and it worked fine.  I'm not sure how to continue from here…I read
a post on a debian bug list that describes using the –p flag for the
command mpt-status to specify the scsi id of 0 or 1.[1]  Is there a
way to specify an id to scsi_id and if there is, how would that get
passed to the command on boot-up.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg290494.html

Thanks

> # /sbin/multipath -v6
>
> and check if you can see this error there. If so, hopefully you'll get some
> useful debugging information. Otherwise, you can start multipathd with
> debugging
>
> # /sbin/multipathd -v6
>
> And parse through all the stuff you get to see there is any debugging
> information there.
>

> > multipathd: error calling out /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sda
> >
> > lvm.static[6938]: segfault at 0000000000000000 rip 0000000000000000
> > rsp 0000007fbfff9388 error 14
> >

> > -------------------------------
> > uname -r = 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp
> >
> > Packages Installed:
> > system-config-lvm-1.0.16-1.0
> > lvm2-cluster-2.02.06-7.0.RHEL4
> > lvm2-2.02.06-6.0.RHEL4
> > device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-16.1.RHEL4
> > GFS-6.1.6-1
> > GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-60.3
> > GFS-kernheaders-2.6.9-60.3
> > kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL