[Linux-cluster] Can't get past Segmentation Faults

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 16:36:37 UTC 2007

isplist at logicore.net wrote:
> I had a UPS outage overnight which took out one side of the power supplies on
> some of my storage. After restoring things, I now have a rather confusing
> problem.
>
> For some reason, all volumes were lost and now I cannot get anything back.
> Since I had backups, I decided to clean everything up and start over. I have
> yet to figure out how NOT to get a segmentation fault and am at a loss on
> where to look next.
>
> Fdisk shows the LVM partitions.
> Pvscan gives segmentation fault.
> Vgscan gives segmentation fault.
> Lvscan shows no volumes.
>
> I've tried countless combinations of vgchange -ay and -an as well as turning
> on/off clvmd services, cleaning things up, I'm at a loss with this.
>
> Can someone offer a logical method of finding what is wrong?
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

If the lvm2 commands like pvscan segfault, I'd say that's a bug.
In my (admittedly somewhat warped) belief system, commands like that should
NEVER segfault.  They should be bullet proof, no matter what kind of
corruption
they encounter.  They should give you a sane error message indicating
what the
problem is.  I recommend making sure your software is up to date, then
I'd search bugzilla for lvm2 bugs matching your problem.  If you can't find
any similar, I'd file a new bug against the lvm2 component.

Also, make sure all your physical drives are showing up by doing
cat /proc/partitions.  I'd also look in dmesg for any weird messages
relating
to the errors.

Regards,

Bob Peterson