[Linux-cluster] Cluster Project FAQ - GFS tuning section]

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Wed Jan 24 13:37:11 UTC 2007

> PS. Some info here which tells how to make this _permanent_ and we were
> surprised adding the setting to sysctl.conf wasn't the primary method
> mentioned: http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2006/12/15/tips_tricks/

Yes, this is very unfortunate. Hacking the init scripts is not a very
elegant way to perform changes to the default behaviour, IMHO. The
reasons I can think of are
a) sysctl works with /proc/sys and has no clue about /proc/cluster
b) sysctl -p executes about 20% into /etc/rc.sysinit, WAY before the
cluster services would start up (and /proc/cluster created).

It would be great if we could have this setting changeable via a
standard mechanism (e.g. checking /etc/sysconfig/cluster, which
/etc/init.d/gfs does source, but

Question to the developers - what would be the best mechanism to have
the number of cached locks set in /etc/sysconfig/cluster for GFS in
RHEL4 and RHEL5? Bugzilla RFE? Global Support Service Request? I have
heard about featurezilla from a Red Hat employee before, but I could not
find it (so I assume it is not open to regular customers/partners)

tnx
Riaan