[Linux-cluster] RE: HA Clustering - Need Help

Alan Wood chekov at ucla.edu
Wed Jan 24 23:46:24 UTC 2007

some quick comments on your post from someone who has tried an
active-active cluster on a shared SCSI device.

1.  If you want to have the same block partition mounted on two different
computers at the same time, then you need some cluster file system like
GFS, you can't use ext3.  There are other cluster filesystems out there
(like lustre) but GFS is most well tied to the RH Cluster Suite and
designed for high availability as opposed to paralell computing.
2.  If you are going to run GFS in a production environment the
recommendation is to not use 2-node.  GFS 5 required 3 nodes but GFS 6
offers a 2-node option;  However when using two nodes it is harder to know
which node is "broken" when something goes wrong, so you'll note a lot of
discusson on this list about fencing gone awry and needing some sort of
tiebeaker like a quorum disk.  If you take care in setting it up a 2-node
cluster will work but you'll want to test it extensively before putting it
into production.
3.  multipathing should work fine and you can build clvm volumes on top of
multipath devices.  Software RAID is different and not really related.

as for recommendations:
1.  don't use SCSI shared storage.  I and others have had reliability
issues with heavy load in these scenarios.
2.  use more than 2 nodes.
3.  go active-passive is possible.  as is often pointed out, the entire
idea of a high availability cluster is that there is enough processing
horsepower to handle the entire remaining load if one node fails.  in a
2-node cluster then you'll have to provision each node to be able to run
everything.  it is far easier to set it up so that one node therefore runs
everything and the other node awaits failure than having active-active.

just my $.02
-alan