[Linux-cluster] Re: 2.6.20-rc4 gfs2 bug

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 12:29:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 00:07 -0500, Dan Merillat wrote:
> Running 2.6.20-rc4 _WITH_ the following patch: (Shouldn't be the issue,
> but just in case, I'm listing it here)
>
> Date:	Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:03:57 +0100
> From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo at elte.hu>
> Subject: [patch] remove MAX_ARG_PAGES
>
> Linux fileserver 2.6.20-rc4MAX_ARGS #4 PREEMPT Fri Jan 12 03:58:25 EST 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> This happened when I started testing gfs2 for the first time.  I
> installed userspace from CVS, loaded the gfs2/dlm modules, mkfs.gfs2,
> then "mount -t gfs2 -v /dev/vg1/gfs2 /mnt/gfs"
>
> This was the initial mount of the new filesystem.  I can create
> directories, but attempting a stress-test with bonnie seems to have
> deadlocked something.  (at "Start 'em", immediately.)
>
> To clarify: the two oopses happened at first mount.  After that, I
> created files/directories, then attempted to stress it a bit with
> bonnie++.  No further oops/dmesg output.

Are you in a position to test a kernel without preempt? I have a
sneeking suspicion that its related to that.

> For the GFS2 folks, latest CVS gfs_tool doesn't have lockdump, is there
> any way to examine what I'm stuck on?

There isn't anything similar at the moment, however we do know about
that and there is a bugzilla entry relating to it, #221300. I don't
think that in this case it will help though since I think this is
something more fundamental in the locking code.

I'll see if I can reproduce something similar locally in the mean time,

Steve.