[Linux-cluster] HA Clustering - Need Help

Net Cerebrum netcerebrum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 07:24:43 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Hagmann, Michael <Michael.Hagmann at hilti.com> wrote:

>  Hi
>
> what I can recommend ( in short ) is a RHEL4 U4+ / GFS  Cluster. When you
> mount the same File system ( in the same time ) on more than one Node you
> need a Clusterfilesystem ( like GFS or maybe ocfs2 )
>
> RHEL4 U4 / GFS with DLM and Quorumdisk ( when you only have 2 nodes ) also
> very Important is the fencing method ( we use now the iLO interface from our
> HP Servers ). And for the Cluster interconnect I recommend you a separate
> Network.

As suggested, we have gone for the above arrangement. Have also made
provision for quorum disks, if required. Initially, I put everything on a
single network and now I am trying to split it into two different networks,
as described in the previous email.

For the Multipath connection you can use the device-mapper multipath tools (
> comes with RHEL4 U4 ) or you use the Vendor specific Driver, like the Qlogic
> Driver from HP in our Case.

The storage vendor, HP, had suggested making a software raid using the
multipath option to achieve the desired functionality and we followed it.
There seemed to be some conflict with the device-mapper tools and the md
raid devices were being stopped after initialisation but making a new initrd
image helped and solved the problem. Thanks for the link the the
presentation but I could not find the English translation.
   Also you should always use a odd number of member (like 3,5,7,...),
because the fencing is then better. But when you have a real HA Solution, in
the most of the Time you have also Two Datacenters. And then the Cluster
should also work when one Datacenter is not available. Then you need either
a new Datacenter ;-), for the third member or you fail back to the Problem
with the fencing! And then maybe the quorum disk is the best solution.

I am forced to go ahead with two nodes only. Will update the forum once
everything is in place and working.Thank you very much for your suggestions.