[Linux-cluster] GFS inodes

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 17:27:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 02:58:14PM +0200, Henke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem using GFS 6.1 in a 4-node cluster.
> My scenario is as follows:
> 4 nodes share a 100GB SAN device.
> node 1 generates data, while nodes 2-4 only read that data (although the
> gfs is mounted rw).
> The amount of shared data is ~ 3GB.
> node 1 creates new data and moves the old data. After the mv, the old
> directory is removed.
> nodes 2-4 notice that the data has changed and restart.
>
> However, I still wonder why the deleted inodes are never de-allocated.
> Without manual intervention (eg. "service gfs restart") on one node 1,
> the filesystem grows about 3GB/day although the actual data is still only
> ~3GB.
> So, as a workaround, I constantly restart the GFS from time to time on
> node 1 and the inodes are de-allocated:
>
> Jul 18 14:04:07 node1 kernel: GFS: fsid=cluster:lucene.0: Scanning for
> log elements...
> Jul 18 14:04:07 node1 kernel: GFS: fsid=cluster:lucene.0: Found 92
> unlinked inodes
> Jul 18 14:04:07 node1 kernel: GFS: fsid=cluster:lucene.0: Found quota
> changes for 0 IDs
> Jul 18 14:04:07 node1 kernel: GFS: fsid=cluster:lucene.0: Done
>
> - I tried various parameters using gfs_tool, however, the deleted inodes
> never get removed unless I restart the whole GFS on node 1 - is there any
> way to circumvent this issue ?
> inoded_secs is at 15 and neither gfs_tool reclaim nor gfs_tool shrink show
> any inodes reclaimed.

This is strange, after being unlinked, gfs_inoded should deallocate them,
but apparently it's not.  What release are you using?  Could you record
the inode numbers of the files before they're unlinked next time (ls -li)?
Then, after they're unlinked, do 'gfs_tool counters' (looking for unlinked
count), and 'gfs_tool lockdump' and send this info?  I'd like to see what
state the iopen locks are in for the unlinked files.  Also send the output
of 'gfs_tool gettune'.
Thanks,
Dave