[Linux-cluster] fencing failing

jim parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 21:10:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 15:55 -0500, Brad Filipek wrote:
> I have an APC MasterSwitch as my fencing device. I configured my
> cluster to use “APC” as the fencing device, and have confirmed that it
> has the correct un, pw, and IP address configured. However, when it
> tries to reboot a failed node, I get this in /var/log/messages:
>

> Jul 20 15:51:28 server1 fenced[32169]: agent "fence_apc" reports:
> failed: unrecognised menu response
>
> Jul 20 15:51:28 server1 fenced[32169]: fence "server2.my.domain.com"
> failed
>

> However, when I run this command from a terminal, it runs fine and the
> failed node reboots:
>

> fence_apc -a 192.168.1.61 –l ***** -p ***** -n 6 –v

Ooohh...that is not good. Can you please tell me if this is rhel4 or rhel5?

Can you send your cluster.conf file? If the agent works from the command
line bu not within the cluster code, it could be an error in the conf
file. XXX out all passwords and such that you care about, or course,
before sending to list.

 Can you telnet into the apc switch and see what firmware version it is using?
There are two version values on the welcome screen that would be nice to
know:

  Network Management Card AOS      vx.x.x
  Rack PDU APP                     vx.x.x

-J