[Linux-cluster] MySQL Failover / Failback

Robert Gil Robert.Gil at americanhm.com
Fri Jun 1 14:18:49 UTC 2007

I am curious if anyone knows the best practices for this? Several use
cases include

Note: We are choosing to use a vip for the two nodes to make the
failover change transparent to the application side.

1) Node 1 (master) dies
        -How do we enable "sticky" failover so that it does not then
fail back to Node 1
        -Is Node 2 active all the time or is the service completely shut
off? And if its off, how would replication happen?
        -How do failover domains work in this case?
2) Node 2 (Master) Node 1 recovered
        -How does replication continue again?
        -How does the master slave relationship change? Is this
automated, or does it require manual intervention? Should we be using
DRDB?
3) Node 1 (master) Node 2 (slave) - network connectivity dies on node 1
        -There is an IP resource available, but how does this monitor
and handle failover?
        -How can I move the vip in the event of a failure? Do I need to
manually script this?

With the vip failover, do I attach the vip resource to the mysql
resource in the failover domain for those two nodes? What happens if I
do this?

Thanks,

Robert Gil
Linux Systems Administrator