AW: AW: [Linux-cluster] Red Hat Cluster & GFS for a LAMP

Schaefer Christian Christian.Schaefer2 at messe-muenchen.de
Mon Jun 4 21:54:16 UTC 2007

Hello Clay,

> My only concern is the level of complexity that
> this would introduce into our environment.
Dealing with cluster infrastructures is never easy. Compared with the NFS server topology you currently use, the webservers will then access a local GFS filesystem for operating system purposes and several other GFS filesystems for common data (web application files or media files). Due to the fact, that each flesystem can be mounted on each of the nodes - provided each of the filesystems has enough journals - you just have to publish data to one single filesystem to be delivered to customers visiting your websites. In other words, the complexity added on the one side lasts in more simplification on the other side.

Please referr to http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=156679. There you can find preconfigured boot images and the com.oonics cluster suite, which provides administrative tools to build and maintain a shared root cluster. Documentation is little, but once i have seen a HOWTO to build a shared root cluster node from the bootimage. Please send mail to ATIX, I am shure they have the document laying around somewhere... ;-)

> Are you using specialized tools for the configuration?
Usually we use the standard tools provided by a standard linux installation. Moreover the gfs_tool binary or other programs included in the GFS package assist while handling system maintenance tasks.

Greetings,
Christian

Christian Schäfer
Abt. IT-Applications