[Linux-cluster] a couple of questions regarding clusters

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 18:22:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 05:23:56PM -0500, Brent Sachnoff wrote:
> I have a 3 node cluster running redhat 4 with gfs.  What is the proper
> way to have a node leave the cluster for maintenance and then rejoin
> after maintenance is completed?  From the docs, I have read that I need
> to unmount gfs and then stop all the services in the following order:
> rgmanager, gfs, clvmd, fenced.  I can then issue a cman_tool leave
> (remove) request.

That should be correct.  'cman_tool leave remove' will decrement the quorum
vote count.

> I have also noticed that if I lose ip connectivity to a certain node I
> lose gfs connectivity with the other two nodes.  I thought that I would
> only need 2 votes to continue connectivity.

I assume that in this case, you are disconnecting the cable (not doing a
clean shutdown as above).

That's correct, except fencing must complete in order for you to
maintain full access to the GFS volume.

If you don't have fencing configured, you will lose connectivity to GFS
volume.