[Linux-cluster] Cluster node without access to all resources - trouble

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 18:33:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 06:45:37PM +0300, Janne Peltonen wrote:

> So.
>
> Is it really necessary that all the members in a cluster have access to
> all the resources that any of the members have, even if the services in
> the cluster are partitioned to run in only a part of the cluster?

No.

>  Or is
> there a way to tell the cluster that it shouldn't care about the fifth
> members opinion about certain services; that is, it doesn't need to
> check if the services are running on it, because they never do.

(1) don't start rgmanager on the fifth node :), or

(2) if you do start rgmanager on the fifth node, make all services be
part of a "restricted" failover domain comprised of the other four
nodes.

> Or
> should I just make sure that the fifth member always comes up last (that
> is, won't be running while the others are coming up)? Or should I aceept
> that I'm going to create more harm than avoiding by letting the fifth
> node belong to the cluster, and just run it outside the cluster?

If the above two don't work, it's a bug.

(Oh! and those status-script checks will be fixed in 5.1 ;) ).