[Linux-cluster] a cluster in a cluster

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 19:17:52 UTC 2007

steven holmes wrote:
> this is what i used do you have the recipe you used
>
> */carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com>/* wrote:
>

>     steven holmes wrote:
>      > has any one tried to build a storage cluster and then build
>     vmware on
>      > those hosts and make vm windows cluster accros the 2 hosts.
>      >
>      >
>      >

>     Yes, using RHEL4.4 cluster suite, vmware server 1.0.3, and rhel4.4
>     guests with rhcs and vmware-tools installed (very important). Works
>     very
>     very well ...
>
>     --
>     CL Martinez
>     carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com
>
>     --

Yes, here it is:

  a) Install two host rhel4 nodes
  b) apply all patches to rhel4
  c) Install development packages (kernel-devel, gcc, etc) on both hosts
  d) prepare some type of shared storage like iscsi, FC san, drbd, etc ...
  e) Install rhcs for rhel4 and do initial configuration, fence device
included.
  f) configure shared storage on both nodes and format with gfs filesystem.
  g) Install vmware binaries on both servers (also you can install
vmware binaries on shared storage, but I haven't test it yet)
  h) Install first rhel4 guest, applying all patches and vmware-tools
(very very very important) on one node
  i) Install second rhel4 guest and do the same like you do it with the
first guest, and on the same node
  j) Next you need to copy /etc/vmware/vm-* on the second host node
  k) Modify .vmx files to use same uuid on both nodes (you can do this
starting rhel4 guest on the second node and accept warning about uuid)
  l) Create start and stop scripts for the guests using vmware-cmd command
  m) Do some tests using this scripts.
  n) Configure rhcs on hosts and test guest machines.
  o) Stop virtual machines and configure virtual shared storage.
  p) Install rhcs and gfs on both guest machines
  q) configure cluster services and test it.
  r) finish.

I think that this should work with rhel5, but I haven't test it ....

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com