[Linux-cluster] RHEL4 cluster NFS

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 17:54:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 10:23 +1100, Matthew Geier wrote:
> Lon Hohberger wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 20:25 +1100, Matthew Geier wrote:
> >
> >>  Any one have a concise example on how to NFS export an ext3 filesystem
> >> on RHEL U4 cluster suite. ?
>
>   Ok, thanks, it's 'clicked' now and I have the idea. Some one emailed
> me directly a screen grab of the layout in system-config-cluster that
> showed me the relationship I was missing, however last evening while
> relaxing in the bath, I had a 'flash of inspiration' on how the
> relationship between the file systems in the services section and the
> NFS clients went together and I tried it remotely and it seems to work.
> all your helpful emails arrived later.
>
>   It's still not perfect, but functional
>
>                          <fs ref="Files - u3">
>                                  <nfsexport name="NFS Export u3">
>                                          <nfsclient name="whitestar NFS"
> options="async,rw" target="whitestar.arts.usyd.edu.au"/>
>                                  </nfsexport>
>                          </fs>
>
>    I gather the nfsclient should be a public resource so it can be
> reused on other file systems. I made it private. Have to wait to my next
> maintenance window to change it as the resulting service restart will
> annoy all my Mac users. (Unlike Windows, Mac's don't expect their
> servers to go down all the time :-)

haha :)

>   What does the actual nfsexport directive do ?. It seems to be that
> adding an nfsclient to a filesystem resource would imply it.

It's basically a per-mountpoint script that does NFS cleanups prior to
allowing the file systems to be unmounted, and does sanity checks (makes
sure nfsd is running prior to trying to call 'exportfs', for example).

It's also a placeholder for future, um "special steps", that might need
to happen as Linux NFS changes over time.

It is designed to inherit everything it needs to know from the parent
<fs> resource (and its parent service resource), which is why it can be
reused.

-- Lon