[Linux-cluster] Using GFS2 as a local file system

Lin Shen (lshen) lshen at cisco.com
Thu Mar 8 19:29:30 UTC 2007

We have a situation that we may need to use GFS2 to share storage in our
system in the future and to ease the pain of transition at that time
(convert files into GFS), we're thinking of using GFS2 just as a local
file system for now.

How is GFS2 compared to other popular local file systems such as ext3
and Reiser in terms of performance, overhead etc? Are we hitting the
wrong direction totally by using GFS2 just as a local file system?

BTW, we've run bonnie on local GFS2, and the performance is decent
compared to ext3 (90%).

Lin