[Linux-cluster] cluster not doing failover

Sai Loganathan sail at serverengines.com
Fri Mar 9 23:30:15 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am setting up a 2 node redhat cluster to test failover as part of

testing effort in my company for the iscsi product we develop.

I have a iscsi target which is my cluster shared storage.

Downloaded and compiled the open source redhat cluster and installed

the cluster components in both the nodes.

Logged-into the iscsi target, created a gfs filesystem and mounted the

lun on both the nodes.

Created the cluster.conf using system-config-cluster gui and below that

cluster.conf

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<cluster config_version="8" name="alpha_cluster">

            <fence_daemon post_fail_delay="0" post_join_delay="3"/>

            <clusternodes>

                        <clusternode name="node1" votes="1">

                                    <fence>

                                                <method name="1">

                                                            <device
name="node1_fence"/>

                                                </method>

                                    </fence>

                        </clusternode>

                        <clusternode name="node2" votes="1">

                                    <fence>

                                                <method name="1">

                                                            <device
name="node2_fence"/>

                                                </method>

                                    </fence>

                        </clusternode>

            </clusternodes>

            <cman expected_votes="1" two_node="1"/>

            <fencedevices>

                        <fencedevice agent="fence_ilo" hostname="admin"

login="admin" name="node1_fence" passwd="admin"/>

                        <fencedevice agent="fence_ilo" hostname="admin"

login="admin" name="node2_fence" passwd="admin"/>

            </fencedevices>

            <rm>

                        <failoverdomains>

                                    <failoverdomain name="failover"
ordered="1"

restricted="0">

                                                <failoverdomainnode
name="node1"

priority="1"/>

                                                <failoverdomainnode
name="node2"

priority="2"/>

                                    </failoverdomain>

                        </failoverdomains>

                        <resources>

                                    <ip address="172.40.2.119"
monitor_link="1"/>

                                    <clusterfs device="/dev/mapper/vg0-lv"

force_unmount="0" fsid="10938" fstype="gfs" mountpoint="/test1"

name="lun" options=""/>

                        </resources>

                        <service autostart="1" domain="failover"

name="iscsi_ip">

                                    <ip ref="172.40.2.119"/>

                        </service>

                        <service autostart="1" domain="failover"

name="iscsi_lun">

                                    <clusterfs ref="lun"/>

                        </service>

            </rm>

</cluster>

Using the cluster ip address (172.40.2.119), I was able to do an nfs

mount of the shared lun from a 3rd machine. Started an infinite ls on

that lun.

To simulate failover, I just powered-down the node1 and hoping to see

the read io stop but resume via the node2. But, I see the following

error message on the node 2.

Mar  9 12:14:49 node2 fenced[7422]: fence "node1" failed

Mar  9 12:14:54 node2 fenced[7422]: fencing node "node1"

Mar  9 12:14:54 node2 fenced[7422]: agent "fence_ilo" reports: Can't

call method "configure" on an undefined value at /sbin/fence_ilo line

169, <> line 4.

Mar  9 12:14:54 node2 fenced[7422]: fence "node1" failed

Mar  9 12:14:59 node2 fenced[7422]: fencing node "node1"

Mar  9 12:14:59 node2 fenced[7422]: agent "fence_ilo" reports: Can't

call method "configure" on an undefined value at /sbin/fence_ilo line

169, <> line 4.

Seems like I am not doing something correct with respect to fencing.

Can I setup cluster without fencing first of all?

I don't have any of the fencing power devices. In that case, how do I

do fencing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sai Logan