[Linux-cluster] Using GFS on Compact Flash

Lin Shen (lshen) lshen at cisco.com
Tue Mar 13 21:15:01 UTC 2007

Hi Bob,

This is very good info. The CF we use has builtin wear-levelling, wonder
if this will make running GFS on top of it more resonable. Of course, if
GFS is like FAT in the way that file system structure is frequently
re-written in-place and cannot be reallocated or moved after wear
failure, then the builtin wear-levelling is not good enough.

Since we'll need to run a file system on the CF, and most likely one of
either GFS, Reiser or FAT, we'd really like to compare the extra disk
writes introduced by the various file systems. I know it's hard to get
the exact numbers, but do you think GFS is far more worse in this
regard.

BTW, is there also a big difference when GFS is running in local and
clustered mode?

Last, does GFS issue any disk writes when it's idle, meaning no one is
using the file system? Do the cluster and fencing stuff also introduce
disk writes?

Lin