[Linux-cluster] Sharedroot or shared GFS? Flash Boot

Mark Hlawatschek hlawatschek at atix.de
Mon Mar 19 08:57:34 UTC 2007

> First, sharedroot and shared GFS space aren't the same, this I know.
> However, could GFS be used as a shared root for multiple servers which are
> identical? They all do the same things, they are all configured identically
> except for their IP. So, why could they not all boot off of one single GFS
> partition?
Yes, you can do this.
That's why http://www.open-sharedroot.org/ originally has been created.
But it can do a lot more.
E.g. you can also create clusters from servers with different hardware setup,
as fibre channel and network hbas will be automatically detected during the
initrd bootsequence.
You can assign different root partitions for the cluster nodes. I.e. a cluster
can have multiple root partitions and servers can be booted into different
sub-clusters on demand. (e.g. a php cluster node can be booted as a database
cluster node on demand)

> Second, I have 32 volumes on a storage device. I have a flash drive for the
> /boot partition only. The system boots off of the lash card then uses one
> of the volumes as it's own OS swap and root partitions. Rather than
> installing over and over again, is there some way of making a copy of one
> of the volumes and using that to mirror the rest? Then I'd only need to
> modify the grub.conf file to tell each blade what it's volume disk is.

open-sharedroot has a sub project called comoonics-enterprisecopy. With this
software you can create bootable clones from either single node
configurations or sharedroot clusters.
They can be used to create identical bootable shadow installations, perform
regular backups (right now tar files and legato networker client have beed
integrated) or to deploy new single node servers or sharedroot clusters.

Mark

--
Gruss / Regards,

** Visit us at CeBIT 2007 in Hannover/Germany **
** in Hall 5, Booth G48/2  (15.-21. of March) **

Dipl.-Ing. Mark Hlawatschek
http://www.atix.de/
http://www.open-sharedroot.org/

**
ATIX - Ges. fuer Informationstechnologie und Consulting mbH
Einsteinstr. 10 - 85716 Unterschleissheim - Germany