[Linux-cluster] storage clustering without SAN

Sridhar Ramaswamy (srramasw) srramasw at cisco.com
Wed Mar 21 22:02:06 UTC 2007

Don't we have a potential solution using GNBD and CLVMD?

So you've bunch of PCs with hard disks.

1) Each PC create LVM PhysicalVolume (pvcreate) on its storage device
2) Each PC exports the physical device using GNBD non-cached
3) Each PC imports other PCs storage using GNBD
4) Create a VolumeGroup combining GNBD devices (like
/dev/gnbd/gnbd_pc01) and local physical devices (/dev/hda8). CLVMD will
take care of distributing LVM info among cluster nodes.
5) Create GFS on top of an logical-volume created off this above
VolumeGroup

Would such a thing work alteast as described above? Such a setup will
aggregate storage off these PCs into a single volume.

Ofcourse, even if it does "work", it is a different question whether it
make sense to deploy such a solution. Major downside is - even if one PC
shuts down, the whole VolumeGroup would be offline and GFS won't be
available. Fencing doesn't apply here.

Thanks,
Sridhar