[Linux-cluster] Why no node-specific <quorumd>?

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon Mar 26 21:25:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:00:04PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:

> I'm not sure why you would want to select one view of a primary
> component (aka quorum membership) with one node, and another primary
> component with another node.  Then as the nodes make decisions, they
> would be inconsistent (ie: consider GFS one node would think writes were
> ok, while another may not...  shouldn't they agree?).

Maybe one step back to the CMAN algorithm:

I have been looking for a comprehensive summary of the algorithm on
how CMAN determines node failures (heartbeat *AND* quorum disk should
show the node being "up"?) and how votes are calculated.  But I could
not find it.

I'm afraid it is not clear what the role the <quorumd> votes play:
are they only calculated on each node or are the votes stored on the
quorum disk and read by other nodes?

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>