[Linux-cluster] GFS2 questions

Lauro, John jlauro at umflint.edu
Tue Mar 27 20:20:32 UTC 2007

Hello,

Seems like GFS would have it's own area, but... project page directs
to this list...

I do not need a cluster file system currently.  However, I am
outgrowing ext3 (mainly the volume size limit).  Xfs looks unworkable
due to memory requirements for a large filesystem, and EXT4 is ready
yet.  I was thinking about using JFS, but that isn't supported in
RedHat 5.  So either I have to settle for EXT3 (split the file
system), or pick a different distro, or pick a different file system.

Wasn't considering GFS2 at first, but it appears to be built into
Redhat 5.  If anyone can recommend something else that is supported by
RedHat 5 and supports large volumes, that would be good too.

Where are the specs for GFS2?  (Max volume size, max file size, max
number of directories in a directory, etc...)?

How does performance compare to EXT3 (and JFS) when running GFS2 in
non locking mode?  Given that GFS is designed to work in a cluster, I
am a little concerned it might not be as efficient on a single machine
with a file system not designed to run on a cluster.  Plus I am a
little concerned that GFS2 has not been out as long or in production
as much compared to ext3 and jfs...

Thanks for any insights.