[Linux-cluster] NFSv4 with ACL-Support on GFS

Marc Grimme grimme at atix.de
Thu Mar 29 07:14:34 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 17:37:03 Robert Peterson wrote:
> Christian Brandes wrote:
> > Dear readers,
> >
> > I would like to set up an active/active cluster of redundant NFSv4
> > servers with ACLs that have the same GFS file system exported at the
> > same time.
> > Is that supported?
> > What versions are needed minimum:
> >     Kernel
> >     GFS-Tools
> >     NFS-Tools ...
> >
> > At the moment I have a two node cluster of test servers with a GFS
> > exported over NFSv4, but I can not get or set ACLs with getfacl or
> > setfacl, which is the same behavior I had with samba.
> >
> > Some weeks ago I tried two SAMBA servers on GFS, though it was said not
> > to work in the Cluster FAQ.
> > It seemed to work -- but no ACLs.
> >
> > Do you have any ideas?
> >
> > Best regards
> >     Christian
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I have a couple questions:
>
> 1. Are you mounting gfs on the nfs server with the "-o acl" option?
> 2. Can you do setfacl and getfacl from the gfs host (i.e. not through nfs)?
> 3. On what version of the cluster software and gfs are you seeing this?
>
> Clustered samba is still being worked on.
Hi Christian,
Yes but samba - without having "shared shares" in a multiple writer
configuration - works since the beginning even with acl. You need the -o acl
and everything should be fine.

You can build up a static active/active samba configuration where server a
serves share a and b serves share b .. and all shares lying in different
directories of the same GFS FS.  Don't forget a stable and persistent
id-mapping with Windows and Unix users. You only need some "tweaks" if using
everything on GFS (i.e. /etc/samba and /var/cache/samba and the like).

Regards
Marc.

> Regards,
>
> Bob Peterson
> Red Hat Cluster Suite

Gruss / Regards,

Marc Grimme
Phone: +49-89 452 3538-14
http://www.atix.de/               http://www.open-sharedroot.org/

**
ATIX - Ges. fuer Informationstechnologie und Consulting mbH
Einsteinstr. 10 - 85716 Unterschleissheim - Germany

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München
Registernummer: HRB 131682
USt.-Id.: DE209485962

Geschäftsführung: Marc Grimme, Mark Hlawatschek, Thomas Merz