[Linux-cluster] Back to the problem of unicity of cluster_id

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Tue May 8 08:03:03 UTC 2007

Alain Moulle wrote:
> Hi
> About the problem of unicity of cluster_id generated by cnxman (see a
> copy of my old email on the ML just below), is there something fixed
> in new versions (U5?) ? or is there a possibility to set a cluster_id
> directly in cluster.conf instead of the cluster_name ?

Yes U5 has a

<cman cluster_id="x"/>

attribute.

I'm not changing the generation algorithm as it would break upgrades, and anyway
it's impossible to guarantee uniqueness of a 16 bit number generated from a <=15
character string - someone will always hit a duplicate!

--
Patrick

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street,
Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 ITE, UK.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903