[Linux-cluster] Probelm compiling Cluster package.

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Mon May 14 18:17:40 UTC 2007

Santiago Del Castillo wrote:
> Tank you David. It worked. But now i'm getting this:
>
> gcc -Wall -I/home/sdcastillo/sources/cluster/config -DHELPER_PROGRAM
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DGFS2_RELEASE_NAME=\"DEVEL.1178569990\" -ggdb
> -I/usr/include -I../include -I../libgfs2 -c -o gfs2hex.o gfs2hex.c
> In file included from hexedit.h:21,
>                 from gfs2hex.c:26:
> /usr/include/linux/gfs2_ondisk.h:53: error: expected
> specifier-qualifier-list before '__be64'
>
> Cheers!
> Santiago

Hi Santiago,

The gfs2_edit tool pulls in the gfs2 kernel data structures from
the kernel source.  I don't get these errors.  On my system, the
declarations for __be64 are pulled in by this statement (which is
already in gfs2hex.c):

#include <linux/types.h>

I'm not sure what's going on here, but perhaps you're running an older
kernel and are missing some stuff from the newer kernel trees.
Ordinarily, you would first do something like:

./configure --kernel_src=/home/sdcastillo/sources/cluster/gfs2-2.6-nmw.git

The difference between gfs2-2.6-fixes.git and gfs2-2.6-nmw.git is simple:
"nmw" stands for "Next Merge Window" which means it is the latest and
greatest code for gfs2.  It contains all the fixes that are scheduled to
be merged into the latest upstream kernel during the next merge window.

The "fixes" tree lags a bit behind and doesn't have all the latest fixes.

The "nmw" is more bleeding-edge, and therefore more potential exposure to
bugs, but it also usually has very important fixes you might need.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite