[Linux-cluster] Cluster Quorate but cannot mount GFS

Christian Brandes christian.brandes at forschungsgruppe.de
Tue May 15 13:10:51 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have set up a 3-node cluster.
When I start 2 nodes, it gets quorate.

But when I try to mount a GFS I get this error message:
	# mount -o acl /dev/sdb1 /gfs
	/sbin/mount.gfs: lock_dlm_join: gfs_controld join error: -22
	/sbin/mount.gfs: error mounting lockproto lock_dlm

Only when I start the 3rd node, so all nodes have joined the cluster, I
am able to mount the GFS.
When I then shutdown one of the nodes. The resting 2 nodes keep the
quorum and mounting GFS is no problem.

My questions:

1. Is it normal and wanted that, when I start the cluster, I have to
start all nodes to mount GFS although the cluster gets quorate with less
than all nodes.

2. If yes, what is the recommended method to start the cluster and mount
GFS when one node cannot come up because of a defect?