[Linux-cluster] how to GFS mirroring? GFS+CLVM+GNBD? GFS+cmirror?GFS+DRBD? GFS+ddraid?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon May 28 17:32:57 UTC 2007

andremachado wrote:
> Hello,
> Unfortunately, at government, budget priorities are "weird" and "after the fact".

I know that.
Seeing that you come from Brazil, I can understand that money _is_ and
issue.
But rest assured that unless you work in a price-insensitive industry
(banking, insurance), money is an issue here, too.

> I have to use what is available to the task now.

I see.

> SAN is not an option by now.
> In 2005, someone at this list tried GFS+CLVM+GNBD and it was a bit flaky, but working.

That's a contradiction, IMO ;-)
At least, my boss would say that.

> Well, more than a year passed.
> Are these components more robust today?

I don't know.I also wouldn't bet my career or reputation on such a
construct, unless RHAT wants commit supporting it.
If you always find those sort-of-working solutions, its no wonder nobody
gives you a real budget ;-)
You will probably need some "expert-advice" from outside to persuade
your superiors that they need to allocate money away from their
pet-projects to your pet-project (this is the case with almost all
bureaucracies in the world - state/government or big-faceless
multinational-company - they're mostly the same, because people are
mostly the same)

Sorry, this for the above almost off-topic tirade.

But, IMO, this whole GFS-stuff is complicated enough, even when deployed
in the way most people do it (SAN+FC).
Adding more layers onto this - I really don't know if it is a good idea.
Because, as I said, it will just fall back on you, if it doesn't work.

cheers,
Rainer