[Linux-cluster] Clusterng with GFS

Kevin Anderson kanderso at redhat.com
Wed May 30 12:27:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 09:29 -0400, Daniel Fernanduz wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to implement a failover cluster with shared storage concept
> (Postgresql Database 7.4).
> RHEL AS 4.0 + RHCS + GFS
>
> I am having two gfs volumes which gets mounted by cluster when any of
> the nodes in
> cluster takes control. The volumes are getting mounted by the cluster
> whenever a node takes
> control, but not getting unmounted when the node leaves the cluster.
> Especially when primary
> node takes control, the volumes mounted on the secondary node (Node
> which gives control to the
> primary node) is not getting unmounted. Anybody plz help me to solve
> this issue. Thanks for the help in advance

The default filesystem failover script special cases gfs filesystem
types.  It knows that gfs is a cluster filesystem and you don't need to
mount/umount it in a failover environment.  Typically failover
environments that utilize gfs are doing it to improve failover times by
not having to mount/umount the filesystem.  That is one of the benefits
of having a cluster filesystem.  If you want to just do failover the
(old)slow way, then either use ext3 or modify the failover script.

Kevin