[Linux-cluster] GFS filesystem hangs

Fair, Brian xbfair at citistreetonline.com
Thu Nov 15 08:40:35 UTC 2007

We have a a GFS filesystem (1 of 100 on this server in particular) that will consistently hang. I haven't identified the circumstances around it, but there is some speculation that it may occur during heavy usage, though that isn't for sure.  When this happens, the load average on the system skyrockets.

The mountpoint is /omni_mnt/clients/j2

When I say hang, cd sometimes hangs, ls will hang, etc. Programs and file operations certainly hang. Sometimes just cd'ing into the mountpoint, other times into a large subdirectory.

ie:

# cd /omni_mnt/clients/j2
root at hlpom500:[/omni_mnt/clients/j2 <mailto:root at hlpom500:[/omni_mnt/clients/j2> ]
# ls
<normal output>
root at hlpom500:[/omni_mnt/clients/j2 <mailto:root at hlpom500:[/omni_mnt/clients/j2> ]
# cd stmt
root at hlpom500:[/omni_mnt/clients/j2/stmt <mailto:root at hlpom500:[/omni_mnt/clients/j2/stmt> ]
# ls

<hangs here, shell must be killed>

In the past, shutting down and rebooting the 2 systems that mount this gfs has cleared the issue.

Info:

RHEL ES 4 u5
kernel 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp
GFS 2.6.9-72.2.0.2

Not sure what is helpful. but here are some outputs from the system while the fs was hung.. I have a lockdump also, but it is 4,650 lines. I can send it along if needed. Any suggestions on data to gather in the future are welcomed.

Thanks!

Brian Fair

gfs_tool gettune ************************************************************************

ilimit1 = 100