[Linux-cluster] Child vs Resource

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 15:57:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 14:38 -0800, Scott Becker wrote:
> In operation, do the children get started successfully before the
> parent is started? As opposed to them being started independently?

Other way around.  Children are dependent on the parent container, and
can inherit attributes.  Assuming untyped resources, generally:

<a>
  <b>
    <c/>
  </b>
  <d/>
</a>

start = a b c d
stop = d c b a

> Is the failures (after everything has been running) handled the same?

Yes, unless you specify __independent_subtree for a resource, then it
and its children are independent and attempted to be restarted as a
separate operation from a full service restart.  Only if that partial
restart fails in this case does a full service restart occur.

-- Lon