[Linux-cluster] GFS Performance Problems (RHEL5)

Paul Risenhoover prisenhoover at sampledigital.com
Wed Nov 28 02:44:33 UTC 2007

Hi James,

Like I said in my last email, my M500i has been swell so far, but I'm
only using one interface.  In regards to your problems though, did you
ever call Promise to get help?  I haven't had a big need to call them in
the past, but when I have, they've been extremely helpful.

My thinking is that this is related to the glock problem that I
mentioned in my previous email.   The reason I think this is because
there are two large filesystems on two separate NAS's that I'm trying to
combine into one.  One NAS has a directory structure with a max of about
1000 files per directory.  When I transferred those files via rsync I
got great performance with no stalling.

The other NAS has directories with 5000+ files, and it was only after
those directories started showing up that the system began stalling.
The problem is, now that those directories are here, the whole
filesystem stalls, whether I'm accessing those directories or not.

The thing that's confusing to me is that, according to the writeup I
read
(http://people.redhat.com/wcheng/Patches/GFS/readme.gfs_glock_trimming.R4)
the problem is with glocks.  From what I understand, a certain number of
glocks are allocated and then the system needs to "garbage collect,"
which causes the pauses.  This indicates to me that there is a glock
table that must be cleaned up on a regular basis.  Apparently I'm
running out of lock space and that's why my system is pausing.

My question is, how big is this table?  Can it be increased?  I've got a
machine with 4G of ram and 2.5G are free.  I would think that if I could
allocate another gig for the glock table and simply let gfs_scand run
constantly at 10% of CPU, I might be able to prevent the stalls.

(I'm not asking you, James, for the answer, but I'm wondering if anybody
else can chime in.)

Paul