[Linux-cluster] I give up

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 21:48:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 01:27:14PM -0800, Scott Becker wrote:
> I have three nodes. If one fails the other two are expected to maintain
> quorum and continue. I would really like a second failure to keep going
> on it's own (last man standing). For this to work I would need to set
> expected votes to 1 and make sure the correct node wins the ensuing
> fencing race.
>
> Case two. I remove one node from the cluster to maintain it. Now I have
> a two node cluster. Same issues as above. Luci wants to set two_node = 1
> in this case instead of just dealing with expected votes = 1. I haven't
> test this because I'm testing all this with node 2 and node 3 while the
> future node 1 is currently our production server.
>
> The ping gateway test/IP tie-breaker was my way of reliably running down
> to last man standing.

> By the way, I am a C programmer. (From windows land though we use RH on
> all of our servers.) I've spent a month trying to get this to work. It's
> open source and given enough time I can make it go. I don't have any
> more time. It's supposed to be production quality.

I'm curious if anyone else out there has done this successfully?  I doubt
anyone at RH has ever even tried it.  It sounds to me like you're outside
the scope of what a person can or should do with this software.  At least
reasonably.  It may be technically possible to make it do what you want, I
don't know, but I doubt it would be easy or pretty as you've shown.

Dave