[Linux-cluster] adding virtual servers through piranha not working

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Fri Oct 12 15:52:29 UTC 2007

AnuSri Padige wrote:
> Trying to add some vitural servers through piranha is not working. When
> trying to click on ADD/EDIT/DELETE button, nothing happens. Tried
> restarting piranha-gui, didn't help. Tried to restart pulse. It shutdown
> but, not coming back. Got an error:
>
> Starting pulse: pulse: cannot create heartbeat socket. running as root?
>                                                            [FAILED]
> Pls. advise.

I see this when I attempt to do a restart on pulse.
The problem is that when pulse shuts down it doesn't always clean
up the nanny processess properly. The nanny processess are hanging
onto something that pulse wants, and because it can't get it, it
fails to start with that error. So check for old nanny processess.

Stuart