[Linux-cluster] Linux clustering (one-node), GFS, iSCSI, clvmd (lock problem)

Wendy Cheng wcheng at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 13:36:17 UTC 2007

Paul Risenhoover wrote:

> THOUGHTS:
>
> I admit I don't know much about clustering, but from the evidence I
> see, the problem appears to be isolated to clvmd and iSCSI, if only
> for the fact that my direct-attached clustered volumes don't exhibit
> the symptoms.

Will let LVM folks comment on rest of the issues. However, if you intend
to use this as single node case, are you aware that both GFS and GFS2
support a "lock_nolock" protocol that doesn't require CLVMD ? It can be
run on a plain storage device (say /dev/sda1)  and doesn't have any
locking overhead. Do a "man gfs_mkfs" and search for "LockProtoName". A
sample mkfs-mount command looks like the following:

shell> gfs_mkfs -t my_cluster:gfs1 -p lock_nolock -j 1 /dev/sda1
shell> mount -t gfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/gfs1

-- Wendy