[Linux-cluster] Linux clustering (one-node), GFS, iSCSI, clvmd (lock problem)

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Oct 17 07:17:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Paul Risenhoover wrote:

>> >  Will let LVM folks comment on rest of the issues. However, if you intend
>> >  to use this as single node case, are you aware that both GFS and GFS2
>> >  support a "lock_nolock" protocol that doesn't require CLVMD
>>> ? It can be run on a plain storage device (say /dev/sda1)  and
>> >  doesn't have any locking overhead. Do a "man gfs_mkfs" and search for
>> >  "LockProtoName". A sample mkfs-mount command looks like the following:
>>
>>  Err - possibly a misunderstanding, but GFS/GFS2 doesn't require LVM/CLVM.
>>  You can run on a raw device without volume management.
> Ouch.  Good to know.  If I use raw devices can I grow and shrink volumes?

Sure - assuming your underlying volume provision supports it (e.g. if your
iSCSI SAN allows you to grow volumes - it's a pretty lame SAN if it
doesn't support something that is so trivial to implement).

The procedure would be to grow the block device on the SAN, and then use
the file system growing utility (as you would do if you enlarged the
volume using LVM) to make the FS expand onto the new, enlarged block
device.

LVM is, IMNSHO, a solution for a non-problem now that we have online RAID
growing capability and SANs can grow volumes at the press of a button.

> The specific need is to be able to take a physical devices out of service
> (ie, one of my iSCSI devices) so that I can restripe it or replace it.

LVM won't help you with that.

What you really need to do is have two mirrored fail-over SANs, so
you can down one, do whatever you need to do, re-mirror it, then repeat on
the other one.

> Here's another scenario: I've got two existing physical devices of ~3TB each,
> both are members of the nasvg_00 volume group (using clvmd), plus a third
> physical device that I'm trying to bring online.  Is there a migration path
> that allows me to format the new physical device with gfs/raw, join it to the
> exiting gfs file system, and then migrate the other physical devices (one by
> one) to a gfs/raw format?

You cannot "merge" two existing partitions into one. The file system won't
be a single file system that spans both. You'd still have to put your data
somewhere else, merge them, grow the one file system to the additional
device(s) and the grow the FS.

In practice, however, a decent SAN solution (one you could build with COTS
hardware and OSS Linux tools) will let you grow a SAN pretty much
indefinitely, in terms of space. Bandwidth capacity of your ethernet will
become an issue before the space becomes an issue.

Note that on RHEL4, there is a partitioning issue - for some reason, fdisk
won't let you make partitions bigger than about 1TB. This may have been
fixed on RHEL5, I don't know, I haven't tried it. But this isn't
necessarily a problem because you can just use raw block devices, and most
file systems can cope nowdays.

Gordan