[Linux-cluster] fence_vmware and ESX server

André Fernandes andreezer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:47:43 UTC 2007

Greetings.

I've been testing VM fencing with the fence_vmware perl script that is
available from
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cluster/fence/agents/vmware/fence_vmware.pl?cvsroot=clusterand
I got it to work with VMware server
1.0.4.

However, I intended to use it on an ESX 3.0.1 installation (which is part of
a Virtual Infrastructure) but for some reason I cannot authenticate. The
exact same user and password work fine if I log in directly to the ESX host
with VMware's Virtual Infrastructure Client. I believe that there are some
of you out there that use(d) this script with ESX.

I'm running it like this: fence_vmware.pl -a 192.168.254.119:902 -l
theusername -p thepassword -L

trying to list the VMs on the host but I always get a "-3" error (wrong
login or password).

Is the VMware Perl API compatible with ESX 3.0.1? Is the 902 port the
correct one? What can I do to debug this?

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

André Fernandes