[Linux-cluster] problems with iscsi storage and boot order

Randy Brown randy.brown at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 22 18:30:56 UTC 2007

I have a two node cluster configured which is going to be used as a NAS
head for our iscsi based storage.  I think I have it working, for the
most part (still some fencing issues, but that will be in another
post).  I am using Centos 5 and it's associated clustering software.

If I boot both nodes with none of the clustering components (cman,
clvmd, gfs, or rgmanager) starting at boot, I can restart the iscsi
service then start cman, clvmd, gfs, and rgmanger and everything works.
The problem stems from the iscsi not making a successful connection to
the storage when the iscsi service starts so clvmd doesn't see the
volume group so gfs can't mount the filesystem.

I have tried moving things around in the boot order using chkconfig,
i.e., moved iscsi to S68, cman to S70, clvmd to S72, and gfs to S74 at
runlevels 2, 3, 4, and 5, but that didn't make any difference.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any
suggestions as to what I can do.  It's very frustrating and I don't want
to have to manually start the clustering on each machine after a reboot.

I will gladly provide further information as required.

Thanks in advance,

Randy