[Linux-cluster] GFS RG size (and tuning)

Glen Dosey doseyg at r-networks.net
Tue Oct 30 00:53:10 UTC 2007

We have several 3.3TB and larger filesystems on GFS1. I found that using
the larger RG helps with performance. Increasing the statfs_slots seemed
to help with df time and similar tasks as well. We have a filesystem
with smaller RG's and I don't think the difference is worth moving the
data around. If there is some other reason to make changes then I will
increase the RG size. The statfs_slots can be increased on the fly and
you should hopefully see an improvement.

Going from RHEL4 to RHEL5 provided measurable benefits for us. You may
also want to look at the option on your disk to see if you can increase
the read ahead and similar underlying performance tunables.

My understanding, and someone correct me if I am wrong, is that GFS2
should resolve the df type issues as well as provide better performance.
I tested it briefly on a 4TB volume and it clearly performs better.
We're just waiting for it to be 'ready'.